Table Of Contents
A leaking tap is not something that you will want to see in your home or rental property. When fitting your taps, you will need to make sure that all joints are well handled and sealed in order to avoid any leakages. Constant leakages will mean constant tap repair or even refitting the tap system entirely.
Usually, only registered and licensed plumbers are qualified to complete works like tap repairs. However, if you are a little handy then you may try and do it yourself. Tap repairs need to be done thoroughly. So, if you aren’t sure if you can do it yourself you will need a good plumbing company to repair that leaking tap. The best way to reach out to them is either through their website or give them a call. It is also great if they are from your local area, because they will have a rich understanding and expertise of what is required in regard to tap plumbing in your area.
The Importance Of Repairing Leaking Taps
At first, a leaking tap may seem like a little trouble, but if it goes on for months or a year, those little drops will add up many litres, and hence your water bills could skyrocket. If you are too busy to look at it yourself, call up a plumbing company to do an inspection. Whether it is a bathroom or kitchen tap replacement or repair, a plumber will be able to stop the leakage. Here are some of the effects of not repairing a leaking tap.
- Over time, minerals like chlorine will stain your sink, leaving rust like marks that are very hard to clean off.
- Leaking taps will after some time cause expensive structural damage to your premises or home if it goes on unfixed. Water leakages have caused a lot of costly damages to foundations, house walls, and the flooring.
- Also, if you do not conduct a proper tap repair and it goes on leaking for a long time, you might end up having a house or property that is dampened and ridden with moss growth.
- The constant noise of dripping water can be unsettling at times. It acts like a constant reminder that you need to get a plumber over to do the tap repair. Postponing it for too long will lead to more costs.
How A Tap Develops A Leak
Leaking can start immediately after plumbing has been done, in the case of poor workmanship. Then again, leaking can also start after you have been using the tap for so long that it becomes worn. Here are some of the main reasons that can cause taps to leak:
- Leaking can be a result of a rusted pipe or connection
- Loose parts that do not fit well can also result in leaking
- A broken or even worn out O-ring
- Bad seals can also result in leaking
- General poor installation of a tap’s plumbing
- Accumulation of lime or calcium inside the pipe
How A Basic Tap Repair Is Done
If your washer has worn out and needs to be replaced, then these steps might help you repair the leaking tap. For this to even happen you will need some appropriate plumbing tools like a pipe wrench or a spanner to undo the faucet from the pipeline or to unscrew the handle. Firstly, you need to turn off your water intake supply line. This is to avoid wastage of water once the repair is underway. You will then need to find proper replacement parts like a good fitting pipe or an O-ring, a washer and a sealant. From there you will need to find out what is the cause of the leakage.
Once you have taken off the tap handle, which can be done by lifting the cover and unscrewing it. Turn the binding mechanism anti-clockwise so that you can access the tap washer. Next, you will need to remove the worn-out washer and replace it with one that is new and fits well. Go ahead and check the tap seat in the tap body to make sure it is in a pristine condition before you fasten the tap back up.
Tap Repair Costs
Generally, a tap repair job cost will depend on the extent of the leak, generally, you may have to part with about $60 to $120 in order to get minor repairs. The amount can significantly increase to about $250 to $600 if you need major repairs, like fixing a leaking basin tap. It is recommended in this case that you find a plumber that does good tap repairs and ensure that their plumbing track record is great.